A 17-year-old Olivehurst boy is in custody and may face attempted murder charges following a shooting of a 15-year-old boy Wednesday morning in Olivehurst.
Dispatchers received a report of shots fired on the 4300 block of Martel Drive around 8 a.m.
Witnesses reported seeing a group of teens, both boys and girls fleeing the scene on foot after the shooting.
Although the teens were observed running in the opposite direction, due to the proximity, both Johnson Park Elementary School and Lindhurst High School were locked down until about noon. Lindhurst High School was the scene of a mass shooting in 1992.
Yuba County Sheriff spokeswoman Leslie Carba described the response from law enforcement.
“We arrived on scene to that report of shots fired and discovered a 15-year-old boy who had been shot, had wounds to the abdomen and arm, he was transported immediately by ambulance to a Sacramento-area hospital," she said.
Carba said yesterday afternoon that at last report the victim was still in surgery.
Authorities aren’t releasing much other information including a possible motive for the attack, the type of weapon or caliber used.