Deadly Siskiyou County wildfire | North State wells going dry | California lawmakers return to Capitol
The latest North State and California news on our airwaves for Monday, Aug. 1.
Wildfire explodes in Siskiyou County; sheriff reports 2 deaths
The McKinney Fire in Siskiyou County — near the Oregon border — exploded over the weekend and is the largest in California this year. The Siskiyou County Sheriff’s Office reported today at least two people have died. The fire has grown to more than 52,000 acres, and it has prompted evacuations in Yreka, the county’s largest city.
— CapRadio and NSPR Staff
Over 100 Glenn County households relying on water deliveries as wells go dry
California is seeing its driest year on record, and groundwater levels in many places are at all-time lows. In the North State, low groundwater levels have left hundreds who have wells without water. In Glenn County, more than 100 families are relying on the county delivering water to their homes.
— Sarah Bohannon, NSPR
California lawmakers return to Capitol to wrap up legislative session
State lawmakers have hundreds of bills to get through before the state’s legislative session ends this month. Lawmakers have already passed new gun restrictions and a few bills to expand access to abortion, but some big legislative battles remain.
— CapRadio Staff
Lawmakers to consider bills targeting social media companies
California lawmakers will consider two bills that target online features that may be harmful to kids, such as personalized posts that grab and hold viewers on a specific page, and push notifications designed to pull users back to their devices.
— Stephanie O’Neill, Kaiser Health News
Stories from NPR partner stations are edited by NSPR Staff for digital presentation and credited as requested.
In case you missed it
- Microchips can reunite wildfire survivors with their pets — NSPR
- Interview: Butte County woman gets year in prison for Camp Fire disaster relief fraud — NSPR
- Excessive heat warning continues; recognizing heat-related illness in dogs — NSPR
- Nearly 800,000 monkeypox vaccine doses will soon be available in the US — NSPR
- California not declaring monkeypox a health emergency, despite growing concern about spread — CapRadio
- Covered California health premiums expected to increase in North State — NSPR
- State lawmaker calls for monkeypox emergency declaration — NSPR
- Butte County allocated just 20 doses of monkeypox vaccine — NSPR
- Excessive heat watch issued for much of the North State — NSPR
- Memorial honors people killed by police in Butte County — NSPR
Headlines is published every weekday morning at 8:30 a.m. Subscribe on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, and NPR One. Theme song Borough is courtesy of Blue Dot Sessions.