Yuba jail detention contract | Winter storm impacts | Klamath dam removals
The latest North State and California news on our airwaves for Monday, Dec. 12.
Congresswoman reports plan to end federal detention contract with Yuba County Jail
San Jose Congresswoman Zoe Lofgren said U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) notified her of plans to stop detaining immigrants at the Yuba County Jail. Lofgren noted the jail has consistently failed to meet ICE’s detention standards. Neither ICE nor the Yuba County Sheriff's Office would confirm the ending of the contract by press time.
— Tyche Hendricks (KQED), The California Report
One killed in Millville during winter storm
The Redding Record Searchlight reported a man was killed in Millville Saturday after a tree fell on his car during this weekend’s winter storm. According to The Associated Press, the storm closed mountain highways and triggered flood watches throughout the northern Sierra Nevada.
— Adia White, NSPR
Leaders cheer Klamath River dam removal plans
Tribal, state and federal leaders gathered in Siskiyou County Thursday to celebrate plans to remove dams on the Klamath River. The decommissioning of the four-dam hydropower project will be the largest river restoration in U.S. history, and one of the largest in the world.
— Danielle Venton (KQED), The California Report
California aims to attract, retain more caregivers
Turnover currently ails a state program that allows low-income people who are older or disabled to age in place. To attract new workers and improve retention, California has started paying caregivers to take online and in-person classes that include dementia care, medication management, fall prevention and self-care. Read the full story.
— Stephanie O’Neill, Kaiser Health News
Stories from NPR partner stations are edited by NSPR Staff for digital presentation and credited as requested.
In case you missed it
- Congressmen aim to exempt fire survivors from federal tax payments on PG&E settlement — NSPR
- Redding City Council approves $3.5 million grant application to revamp South City Park — NSPR
- Fit-trail installed at Riverbend Park in Oroville — NSPR
- Chico State suspends professor who allegedly threatened colleagues who complained of his student affair — EdSource
- Chico State professor disciplined for student affair allegedly threatened colleagues who complained— EdSource
- Chico City Council approves increase to police officer signing bonuses — NSPR
- State moves forward with closing more prisons — The California Report