Redding micro shelters | Chico downtown parking | Storm recovery
The latest North State and California news on our airwaves for Tuesday, Feb. 7.
Construction begins on micro-shelter community in Redding
The City of Redding and several nonprofits began construction on a micro-shelter community for unhoused residents Monday. The site, located off South Market Street, is being run in partnership with several local nonprofits. Pathways to Housing will handle case management and United Way of Northern California will handle staffing and operate the facility.
— Alec Stutson, NSPR
Chico City Council to consider adding more diagonal parking downtown
The City Council in Chico is set to discuss a parking proposal for the downtown area at its meeting tonight. The diagonal-parking conversation is focused on Salem, Main, and Broadway streets, between First and Ninth streets. Council member Tom van Overbeek says the reorientation could create additional parking spaces, calm traffic and improve pedestrian access.
— Andre Byik, NSPR
Recovery continues in wake of devastating winter storms
California's state insurance commissioner said many of the people still recovering from last month's powerful storms are those struggling to make ends meet. Commissioner Ricardo Lara was joined by California U.S. Sen. Alex Padilla Monday to highlight state and federal resources available to Californians.
— CapRadio Staff
California assesses response needs following earthquake in Turkey
California’s state Office of Emergency Services (OES) says it’s closely monitoring the deadly and destructive earthquake in Turkey and Syria. OES says it’s in close contact with government partners and aid groups to assess response needs. Officials say the disaster should prompt Californians to think about their own protection.
— CapRadio Staff
Stories from NPR partner stations are edited by NSPR Staff for digital presentation and credited as requested.
In case you missed it
- Redding residents rally in support of police body cameras — NSPR
- Megan Dahle announces run for California Senate — NSPR
- Millions of Californians at risk of losing Medi-Cal benefits — Kaiser Health News
- Chico State community shares input on the search for the next university president — NSPR
- COVID-19 relief grants available to qualifying Shasta County businesses — NSPR
- Group attempts to limit solitary confinement in California jails — CapRadio
- PG&E to face trial for manslaughter for role in Zogg Fire — NSPR
- Newsom backs measure to restrict concealed carry weapons in some public places — CapRadio