Winding Fire in Yuba County | Probable monkeypox case in Butte County | CHAT talks tiny home plans
The latest North State and California news on our airwaves for Tuesday, July 19.
Winding Fire prompts evacuations in Yuba County; 20% contained
A wildfire that started Monday in Yuba County prompted officials to place at least 800 residents under evacuation orders. Evacuation warnings and advisories also remain in place. Cal Fire said the Winding Fire sparked about three miles south of Oregon House. As of 7 a.m. today, Cal Fire is reporting the fire is 82 acres and 20% contained. An evacuation shelter was set up at the Yuba-Sutter Fairgrounds in Yuba City.
— Andre Byik, NSPR
Probable case of monkeypox detected in Butte County
A probable case of monkeypox has been detected in Butte County. County health officials reported Monday that the sample was taken from a local resident, and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention will need to confirm the result. As of Thursday, the California Department of Public Health has reported 250 cases throughout the state.
— Adia White, NSPR
Interview: CHAT vice president discusses plans for tiny home village for the unhoused
The Chico Housing Action Team (CHAT) broke ground last week on a tiny home village for unhoused residents. CHAT Vice President Robert Trausch discussed plans for the village, which is being set up in collaboration with the Butte County Department of Employment and Social Services and Department of Behavioral Health.
— Alec Stutson, NSPR
Democratic congressional fundraising committee targets California races
Democrats are widely expected to lose congressional seats in this year’s midterm elections. But their national fundraising arm is investing in several California races, hoping to flip some seats in the state. The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee announced it’s providing additional support for five new candidates across the state.
— CapRadio Staff
Stories from NPR partner stations are edited by NSPR Staff for digital presentation and credited as requested.
In case you missed it
- Construction begins on tiny home site for Chico’s unhoused dealing with substance abuse, mental illness — NSPR
- Tips on protecting a home from wildfire embers — NSPR
- State attorney general has plan for nearly 1.5 million California tenants at risk of eviction — KQED
- Newsom’s bid to make textbooks free delayed in community colleges central office — EdSource
- The Dixie Fire started a year ago: A look at the status of the investigation into the drone that got in the way of the initial firefight — NSPR
- ‘I can’t water without PG&E’: Anderson resident describes experience evacuating Peter Fire — NSPR
- Interview: Emergency shelter Safe Space to open a summer cooling center in Chico — NSPR
- Dial 988: State’s new mental health crisis hotline debuts — CalMatters
Headlines is published every weekday morning at 8:30 a.m. Subscribe on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, and NPR One. Theme song Borough is courtesy of Blue Dot Sessions.