Interim Chico police chief | North State teacher shortage | Dangerous heat wave
The latest North State and California news on our airwaves for Tuesday, Aug. 30.
City of Chico names interim police chief
The city of Chico has named an interim replacement for retiring Police Chief Matt Madden. Starting Sept. 23, Chico police Capt. Billy Aldridge will serve as interim police chief, according to a city press release.
— Andre Byik, NSPR
North State schools struggle to find teachers and substitutes
As the new school year starts, many K-12 districts in the state are struggling to find the staff they need. Small and rural schools in the North State have been hit especially hard. The Princeton Joint Unified School District in Colusa County had to close all of its schools for a week in early August after over half of its staff contracted COVID-19. Read the full story.
— Alec Stutson, NSPR
Dangerous heat to hit California mid-week
California is facing a prolonged late-summer heat wave this week. Widespread triple-digit temperatures will affect most of the state from mid-week through Labor Day weekend. Temperatures are predicted to top 100 degrees in many valley and mountain locations.
— CapRadio Staff
State legislators approve fast-food workers bill
California lawmakers have approved a bill that would give stronger bargaining rights to the more than half-million fast food workers across the state. The bill would set up a fast food council made up of workers, franchise owners and franchising companies like McDonald’s.
— CapRadio Staff
Stories from NPR partner stations are edited by NSPR Staff for digital presentation and credited as requested.
In case you missed it
- PG&E’s CEO says she’s focused on gaining back public’s trust — CapRadio
- Experts say California is likely to see more frequent, longer droughts — NSPR
- Cattle ranchers reducing herds due to drought in the western U.S. — NSPR
- Official says preference for single-family homes is a problem for affordable housing — NSPR
- Remembering Tyler Rushing, shot by Chico police in 2017 — NSPR
- Healthier options on the menu as California begins providing free meals for all students — EdSource
- Federal grant money for wildfire recovery short of funding requests — NSPR
Headlines is published every weekday morning at 8:30 a.m. Subscribe onSpotify,Apple Podcasts, andNPR One. Theme song Borough is courtesy ofBlue Dot Sessions.