Broadband infrastructure funding | Winter storm warning | CalFresh food assistance
The latest North State and California news on our airwaves for Friday, Jan. 13. NSPR Headlines will be off Monday, Jan. 16, in observance of Martin Luther King Jr. Day. It will return on Tuesday, Jan. 17.
New broadmap map to be used to distribute federal funding
The Federal Communications Commission released a new broadband map in December. The map will determine how the federal government awards over $40 billion of broadband infrastructure improvement funding. In the North State, where emergency communications are a top priority, funding for broadband is especially important.
— Jamie Jiang, NSPR
Winter storm warning, flood watch in effect for parts of the North State
The National Weather Service has issued a winter storm warning in Lassen and Plumas counties, as well as Sierra County. Heavy snow Saturday through Monday could make mountain roads dangerous and impassable. A flood watch is in effect for parts of the North State Saturday through Sunday. Areas affected include the northern Sacramento Valley, southwestern Shasta County and western Colusa County.
— Adia White, NSPR
California still in drought despite torrential rainfall
Despite the torrential rains that have pummeled communities across the state, experts say almost half of California is still in a severe drought. While the rainfall has been very beneficial by helping refill some reservoirs, overall it’s fallen too quickly to efficiently capture and store.
— Alastair Bland, CalMatters
CalFresh food assistance available for families amid storms
As winter storms move through the state, power outages and flooding can make it hard for families to get and preserve food. For families on CalFresh, help is available.
— Carlos Cabrera-Lomelí (KQED), The California Report
Stories from NPR partner stations are edited by NSPR Staff for digital presentation and credited as requested.
In case you missed it
- Butte County weathers storm, but emergency declaration could bring aid if needed — NSPR
- Report suggests equity improvements for parole hearings — CapRadio
- New law allows Californians to seal criminal records — The California Report
- North State counties added to federal emergency declaration — NSPR
- State budget proposal includes billions in spending cuts — CapRadio
- Rainfall to help relieve statewide drought — NSPR
- Berry Creek residents say they weren’t notified about decision to close fire station — NSPR