Chico State open forum | COVID-19 grant funds | Solitary confinement opposition
The latest North State and California news on our airwaves for Friday, Feb. 3.
Chico State community shares input on the search for the next university president
Chico State held an open forum Thursday for community members to give their feedback on the search for a new university president. University officials said the forum was the only presidential committee meeting that will be open to the public. The university is continuing to take written comments on its website.
— Alec Stutson, NSPR
COVID-19 relief grants available to qualifying Shasta County businesses
Some businesses in Shasta County affected by the COVID-19 pandemic are now eligible for grant funding to relieve financial hardship. The funding is available through the Community Development Block Grant program under the CARES Act. Each business is eligible to receive up to $50,000.
— Adia White, NSPR
Group attempts to limit solitary confinement in California jails
A group of state lawmakers and advocacy organizations are trying to limit solitary confinement in California jails, prisons, and immigrant detention facilities, for the second year in a row. The group says no one who is pregnant, disabled, younger than 26, or older than 59 should be put in solitary due to the physical and mental strain it causes.
— CapRadio Staff
Senator introduces bill for the use of artificial intelligence
Napa State Senator Bill Dodd has introduced a so-called bill of rights for the use of artificial intelligence. With cutting-edge AI now able to approximate the writing of human beings, Dodd said he aims to embrace the potential benefits of the technology while also protecting against its dark side including potential bias and abuses of privacy.
— Scott Shafer (KQED), The California Report
Stories from NPR partner stations are edited by NSPR Staff for digital presentation and credited as requested.
In case you missed it
- PG&E to face trial for manslaughter for role in Zogg Fire — NSPR
- Chico State to hold open forum on its search for a new president — NSPR
- Newsom backs measure to restrict concealed carry weapons in some public places — CapRadio
- Sierra snowpack double the average after recent winter storms — CapRadio
- Chico begins clearing encampment at Teichert Ponds — NSPR
- Waitlist open for Shasta County’s section 8 housing voucher program — NSPR
- Sierra snow survey to take place today — CapRadio
- State owes clinics money for mpox outbreak — CalMatters
- Holiday Market in Paradise opened its doors for the last time Friday — NSPR
Headlines is published every weekday morning at 8:30 a.m. Subscribe on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, and NPR One. Theme song Borough is courtesy of Blue Dot Sessions.