‘Memorial for the Fallen’ | Microchipping pets for wildfire | Oak Fire update
The latest North State and California news on our airwaves for Tuesday, July 26.
Memorial honors people killed by police in Butte County
The families of several people killed in recent years by police in Butte County gathered Saturday at a church in Chico. The "Memorial for the Fallen" included space to mourn and calls to action.
— Andre Byik, NSPR
Microchips can reunite wildfire survivors with their pets
If you’re a pet owner, you might want to consider having your pet microchipped as part of your wildfire preparedness plan. Daniel Gebhart, a veterinarian at VCA Valley Oak Veterinary Center in Chico, told NSPR last summer only 5% of the hundreds of pets he treated after the Camp and Bear fires had microchips.
— Sarah Bohannon and Ken Devol, NSPR
Growth slows on wildfire near Yosemite National Park
The dangerous Oak Fire near Yosemite National park has burned more than 17,000 acres and remains the largest wildfire in California this year. But it’s growth tempered Monday. Cal Fire reports the fire has destroyed 55 structures, including 21 homes.
— CapRadio Staff
People turned away at monkeypox vaccine sites in Los Angeles County
Los Angeles County health officials closed the online waiting list for the monkeypox vaccine Thursday — just one day after it went live. And some qualified people are being turned away at vaccine sites and given conflicting advice.
— Jackie Fortiér (KPCC), The California Report
Stories from NPR partner stations are edited by NSPR Staff for digital presentation and credited as requested.
In case you missed it
- Safe Space opens indoor cooling center in Chico — NSPR
- PG&E, Tesla look to battery-equipped customers for energy during high demand — NSPR
- Oak Fire near Yosemite is largest California wildfire this year — CapRadio
- Some COVID orphans in California will get financial help — CalMatters
- Newsom signs first-in-nation bill allowing residents to sue makers, sellers of illegal assault weapons — CapRadio
- Monkeypox largely not in the North State, but officials say it’s only a matter of time NSPR — NSPR
Headlines is published every weekday morning at 8:30 a.m. Subscribe on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, and NPR One. Theme song Borough is courtesy of Blue Dot Sessions.