Out-of-state fire survivors | Teichert Ponds charges | Shasta County health access
The latest North State and California news on our airwaves for Friday, Oct. 21.
Camp Fire survivors living out of state lament lack of support
Many survivors of the 2018 Camp Fire left the state after losing their homes. Some say that’s left them far from some of the support available in California. Thousands of survivors have left the state since the Camp Fire and now populate all 50 states of the nation, according to a study from California State University, Chico.
— Jamie Jiang, NSPR
Two charged in connection with Sunday Teichert Ponds shooting
Two Chico residents were charged Wednesday for a shooting at Teichert Ponds earlier this week. That’s according to a press release from Butte County District Attorney Mike Ramsey’s office. A 19-year-old man and a 38-year-old woman were both charged with assault with a semi-automatic firearm in connection with the shooting. The woman was also charged with personally inflicting great bodily injury and being a felon in possession of a firearm.
— Alec Stutson, NSPR
NOAA predicts dry months across parts of the West
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration says the next three months will be drier than normal in the West. The agency released its winter weather outlook Thursday.
— CapRadio Staff
Interview: Lack of medical specialists in Shasta County make care difficult to access
Residents in rural areas like the North State face challenges in accessing primary care and medical specialists. The nonprofit news organization Shasta Scout recently investigated the issue in Shasta County and the impact this has on residents. NSPR’s Adia White spoke with Shasta Scout editor Annelise Pierce, who reported the story. Listen to the interview in today’s Headlines and read the full story.
— Adia White, NSPR
Stories from NPR partner stations are edited by NSPR Staff for digital presentation and credited as requested.
In case you missed it
- Measure H would raise Chico's sales tax by 1% — NSPR
- Health officials encourage flu and COVID-19 vaccination — NSPR
- North State elections: Republican House candidate Kevin Kiley — NSPR
- Parade of Lights makes a triumphant return to the streets of Chico — NSPR
- Paradise Genealogical Society celebrates grand reopening after losing its building in 2018 Camp Fire — NSPR
- Interview: Democratic House candidate Kermit Jones challenges Kevin Kiley for 3rd Congressional District — NSPR
- Chico’s Measure L addresses public nuisance standards — NSPR
- 3 people arrested in connection with Teichert Ponds shooting, Chico police say — NSPR