Chico winter shelter | Airport name change | Pelosi leadership role
The latest North State and California news on our airwaves for Friday, Nov. 18.
Safe Space winter shelter prepares to open
A nonprofit homeless aid group in Chico is working to open temporary shelters next month. The organization Safe Space Winter Shelter partners with churches across Chico to use their buildings as temporary shelters for unhoused residents. They also provide meals, clothing and case management.
— Alec Stutson, NSPR
Chico City Council votes to rename airport
The Chico City Council Tuesday voted to rename the Chico Municipal Airport to Chico Regional Airport. City officials say the rebranding is part of an effort to attract an airline and re-establish commercial flights.
— Andre Byik, NSPR
Audit finds UC system is too slow in returning artifacts to tribes
A new state audit finds the University of California is moving too slowly in returning Native American cultural items to tribes. Returning the items is required under both the federal and state Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Acts.
— CapRadio Staff
Interview: Nancy Pelosi to step down from leadership role
After two decades as the leader of the Democratic Party in Congress, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi says she is stepping down. The congresswoman from San Francisco says it's time for a new generation to take over. Marisa Lagos, a correspondent for KQED’s California politics and government desk, spoke with CapRadio’s Randol White.
— CapRadio Staff
Stories from NPR partner stations are edited by NSPR Staff for digital presentation and credited as requested.
In case you missed it
- Paradise youth reflect on Camp Fire recovery — NSPR
- Chico crime stats point to an increase in hate crimes this year — NSPR
- Gallery 'Nothing But Love' follows its mantra four years after the Camp Fire — NSPR
- This year’s Nagar Kirtan in Yuba City draws record number of visitors — NSPR
- After 2 years of massive surplus, California is facing a $25 billion budget deficit — CapRadio
- Kiley declares victory in U.S. House race; ballots still being counted — CapRadio
- Sounding the Alarm: Butte County communities turn to sirens — NSPR
Headlines is published every weekday morning at 8:30 a.m. Subscribe onSpotify,Apple Podcasts, andNPR One. Theme song Borough is courtesy ofBlue Dot Sessions.