New Chico police chief | Redding casino opposition | Earthquake aftermath
The latest North State and California news on our airwaves for Thursday, Dec. 22. NSPR Headlines will be on break Friday and Monday, and it will return Tuesday, Dec. 27.
Chico City Council confirms police chief appointment
The Chico City Council Tuesday unanimously confirmed the appointment of Billy Aldridge as the city’s new police chief. Aldridge, who joined the Chico Police Department in 2005, had been serving as police chief on an interim basis since September, following the retirement of former Police Chief Matt Madden. Aldridge’s salary was set at $189,000.
- Search for police chief underway; some question the process
- Chico journalist wins access to records in Chico police shootings
- ‘Memorial for the Fallen’: Parents organize tribute to people killed by Butte County law enforcement
— Andre Byik, NSPR
Redding City Council again opposes casino proposal
For the second time, the Redding City Council will oppose a casino proposal on land next to Interstate 5 known as “Strawberry Fields.” The Redding Rancheria, which operates the Win-River casino in south Redding, owns the land and wants to relocate its gaming facility there.
— Kelly Frost, NSPR
Rio Dell grapples with aftermath of North Coast earthquake
Most of the damage from Tuesday’s earthquake happened in the small Humboldt County town of Rio Dell. Following the 6.4-magnitude earthquake, reporters on the ground said stores were trashed and some houses have been torn off their foundations.
— Madi Bolaños (KQED), The California Report
ACLU settles lawsuit against Sacramento County Sheriff’s Office
The American Civil Liberties Union of Northern California recently settled a lawsuit against the Sacramento County Sheriff’s Office. It states the office has been violating state laws around detention of undocumented immigrants. Read the full story.
— CapRadio Staff
Stories from NPR partner stations are edited by NSPR Staff for digital presentation and credited as requested.
In case you missed it
- Newsom proclaims emergency for Humboldt County — NSPR
- Why the North Coast is so seismically active — NSPR
- Benefit raises funds for community devastated in Mill Fire — NSPR
- 6.4-magnitude earthquake strikes Humboldt County — NSPR
- State firefighters to wait years for shorter workweek — CalMatters
- State Sen. Wiener introduces bill to decriminalize psychedelics — The California Report
- Chico State provost resigns amid revelations of professor’s prohibited affair, alleged threats — NSPR
- Community organizers call for more shelter beds for unhoused residents in Oroville — NSPR
Headlines is published every weekday morning at 8:30 a.m. Subscribe on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, and NPR One. Theme song Borough is courtesy of Blue Dot Sessions.