Blizzard & storm warnings | State prison closures | High-severity fire risks
The latest North State and California news on our airwaves for Monday, Feb. 27.
Blizzard warning in effect for parts of the Sierra
Powerful winter storms will continue to hit the region into Wednesday. The National Weather Service has issued a blizzard warning for parts of the northern Sierra and a winter storm warning for foothill and mountain regions until Wednesday morning.
— Dave Schlom, NSPR
Newsom moves to shut down more correctional institutions
California spends more than $15 billion a year on its prison system. Now, with the number of people behind bars plummeting, Gov. Gavin Newsom’s administration is moving to shut down more correctional institutions. Read the full story.
— Nigel Duara, CalMatters
Interview: Proportion of high-severity fire is rising in the Sierra Nevada
A study from researchers at the University of California, Davis found Sierra Nevada forests are facing more extreme wildfires, which could be bringing changes to ecosystems. Listen to an interview with John Williams, coordinator for the California Prescribed Fire Monitoring Program and the lead author of the report, in today’s Headlines.
— CapRadio Staff
California to provide additional payments to nursing homes working to improve conditions
California will begin providing additional Medicaid payments to nursing homes — including low-rated ones — that hire more workers, reduce staff turnover or improve patient care. The state will score facilities on their performance in these areas under a new system to begin next year, and those that do more will earn larger bonuses.
— Stephanie O’Neill, Kaiser Health News
Stories from NPR partner stations are edited by NSPR Staff for digital presentation and credited as requested.
In case you missed it
- Butte County officials prepare for power outages, storm damage — NSPR
- Marysville set to celebrate 143rd Bok Kai Festival — CapRadio
- Unearthing hidden talent at Karaoke Television in Chico — NSPR
- Interview: Seniors are a growing demographic among California’s homeless population — CalMatters
- Butte County Board of Supervisors advances loan proposal for Honey Run Covered Bridge — NSPR
- Winter storm warning in place for northern Sacramento Valley — NSPR