Winter storm emergency request | Flood watch through Sunday | Sipho's Jamaican restaurant event
The latest North State and California news on our airwaves for Friday, March 10.
Newsom requests presidential emergency declaration for winter storms
Gov. Gavin Newsom Thursday requested a presidential emergency declaration to allow for federal resources to assist the state in recovering from severe winter storms. According to a press release from the Governor’s office, the request could help direct federal funds to purchase generators, road-clearing equipment, and shelters.
— Adia White, NSPR
Flood watch remains in effect through Sunday morning
A flood watch remains in effect through Sunday morning below 4000 feet. At elevations above that, the snowpack should be able to absorb heavy precipitation. Gusty winds coupled with very saturated soils will also lead to the increased risk of power outages throughout the region.
— Dave Schlom, NSPR
Audio postcard: Tempo party at Sipho’s Restaurant and Café
Sipho’s Restaurant and Café is holding its monthly Tempo party this Saturday. Sipho is the affectionate nickname given to restaurant owner and chef Newton Merritt. His February Tempo party was also his first this year. NSPR’s Jamie Jiang attended and brought back an audio postcard. Listen in today’s headlines.
— Jamie Jiang, NSPR
California sues a city for not following housing laws
California is suing the city of Huntington Beach for not following state affordable housing laws and preventing new duplexes and accessory dwelling units, or granny flats, from being built. Hours after being sued Thursday, Huntington Beach filed a countersuit calling state housing laws an unbridled power play to eliminate the suburban character of the city and replace it with a high-density mecca.
— CapRadio Staff
Stories from NPR partner stations are edited by NSPR Staff for digital presentation and credited as requested.
In case you missed it
- City of Chico begins enforcement process at encampment in North Chico— NSPR
- Upcoming winter storm to last through the weekend — NSPR
- Butte County educator wins award for creating Hmong cultural curriculum — NSPR
- Expert: Wildfire mitigation would save money, aid forests — CapRadio
- Berry Creek residents sue Butte County Board of Supervisors over fire station closures — NSPR
- Legislation would expand Berryessa Snow Mountain National Monument— CapRadio
- Residents urged to prepare for potential flooding due to upcoming storms — CapRadio
- Lawmakers work to attract more women to construction industry — CapRadio