Chico enforces anti-camping rules | Winter storm forecast | Recognizing Hmong culture
The latest North State and California news on our airwaves for Thursday, March 9.
City of Chico begins enforcement process at encampment in North Chico
The city of Chico issued seven-day notices of intent to enforce anti-camping ordinances at its sanctioned encampment in North Chico Tuesday. The city had announced its intent to remove unapproved campers from the site early last month, but was blocked from doing so until it opened an additional site. The city recently designated a new site nearby to meet that requirement.
— Alec Stutson, NSPR
Upcoming winter storm to last through the weekend
Another winter storm is forecast to hit the North State tonight and last through the weekend. Some flooding is expected and high winds will bring the risk of downed trees. Despite the risks posed by the storm, officials say the rain is much needed.
— Alec Stutson, NSPR
Butte County educator wins award for creating Hmong cultural curriculum
An administrator with the Butte County Office of Education has been recognized for her work in developing a curriculum to bring Hmong culture to California students. Lily Chang is this year’s recipient of the Diane L. Brooks Administrative Award.
— Ken Devol, NSPR
Expert: Wildfire mitigation would save money, aid forests
A U.S. Senate budget committee heard testimony Wednesday on the need to increase federal funding for wildfire mitigation. An expert says wildfire mitigation would save federal dollars and increase forest survivability.
— CapRadio Staff
Stories from NPR partner stations are edited by NSPR Staff for digital presentation and credited as requested.
In case you missed it
- Berry Creek residents sue Butte County Board of Supervisors over fire station closures — NSPR
- Legislation would expand Berryessa Snow Mountain National Monument — CapRadio
- Residents urged to prepare for potential flooding due to upcoming storms — CapRadio
- Lawmakers work to attract more women to construction industry — CapRadio
- Wet weather brings flooding concerns to the North State — NSPR
- Health workers enroll newly eligible undocumented adults in Medi-Cal — CapRadio
- Lawmakers propose legislation to crack down on hidden fees — CapRadio
- Tourist destination explores allowing cannabis lounges — CapRadio
Headlines is published every weekday morning at 8:30 a.m. Subscribe on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, and NPR One. Theme song Borough is courtesy of Blue Dot Sessions.