Suspected homicide investigation | Flood watch | Habitat restoration grants
The latest North State and California news on our airwaves for Tuesday, March 14.
Police in Chico investigating suspected homicide after a body was found outside a Food Maxx
The Chico Police Department is investigating a suspected homicide after a body was found near Food Maxx off Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Parkway. Brian Miller, Lieutenant for the Chico Police Department, said the body was reported at around 4:15 p.m. Sunday and was wrapped in plastic.
— Ken Devol, NSPR
Rivers across California expected to rise above flood stage
State officials say the latest atmospheric river storm to hit California will pose new flood threats. The National Weather Service California-Nevada River Forecast Center has issued alerts for dozens of locations across the state where waters are expected to rise near or above flood stage. A flood watch is in effect for much of the state through at least Wednesday.
— Dan Brekke (KQED), The California Newsroom
Millions in state funds awarded for habitat restoration
The California Department of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW) is providing millions in funding to restore salmon habitat throughout the state. The $22.5 million grant announced last week will fund 19 projects for habitat restoration, several of which are in the North State.
— Ken Devol, NSPR
Gov. Gavin Newsom proposes delaying funding for subsidized child care
Child care workers are angered over a proposal that would delay funding for 20,000 subsidized child care slots for low-income families, according to The Associated Press. The AP reports that the Governor’s office is proposing to delay the credits to help cover the state’s $22.5 billion deficit.
— Adia White, NSPR
Stories from NPR partner stations are edited by NSPR Staff for digital presentation and credited as requested.
In case you missed it
- Glenn added to list of California counties under a state of emergency — NSPR
- Interview: Safe Space shelter closes for the season as extreme weather conditions persist — The California Newsroom
- Officials balance flood control with water storage needs at Lake Oroville and other reservoirs — CalMatters
- Flood watch, winter storm warning in effect for parts of the North State through Wednesday — NSPR
- Audio postcard: Tempo party at Sipho’s Restaurant and Café — NSPR
- California sues a city for not following housing laws — CapRadio
Headlines is published every weekday morning at 8:30 a.m. Subscribe on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, and NPR One. Theme song Borough is courtesy of Blue Dot Sessions.