Gubernatorial debate | Congressional forum | Hutchinson talks retirement
The latest North State and California news on our airwaves for Monday, Oct. 24.
Newsom, Dahle spar in only gubernatorial debate scheduled ahead of election
Gov. Gavin Newsom and state Sen. Brian Dahle participated in a debate Sunday hosted by KQED. Topics included California’s cost of living, climate policy and reproductive rights. It was their only planned debate before the Nov. 8 general election. Read the full story.
— CapRadio Staff
LaMalfa, Steiner face off in candidate forum
The candidates running for California’s 1st Congressional District, which covers much of the North State, faced off in a forum Thursday hosted by the League of Women Voters of Butte County. Congressman Doug LaMalfa and his Democratic challenger, Max Steiner, tackled topics such as inflation, water policy and election integrity. Watch the forum.
— Andre Byik, NSPR
Labor union pushes for wage increases at private medical facilities
A California labor union wants to establish a $25 minimum wage for support staff at private medical facilities. But its 10-city campaign has been reduced to two local ballot questions this election cycle.
— Stephanie O’Neill, Kaiser Health News
Interview: Chico State President Gayle Hutchinson shares thoughts on her retirement, legacy
Chico State President Gayle Hutchinson announced earlier this month that she will retire in June 2023. NSPR's Alec Stutson spoke with Hutchinson about the policies and projects she undertook during her nearly seven years as the university's president. Listen to the interview.
— Alec Stutson, NSPR
Stories from NPR partner stations are edited by NSPR Staff for digital presentation and credited as requested.
In case you missed it
- Camp Fire survivors living out of state lament lack of support — NSPR
- Two charged in connection with Teichert Ponds shooting — NSPR
- Lack of medical specialists increases obstacles to care and worsens patients’ prognoses — Shasta Scout
- Measure H would raise Chico's sales tax by 1% — NSPR
- Health officials encourage flu and COVID-19 vaccination — NSPR
- Parade of Lights makes a triumphant return to the streets of Chico — NSPR
- Paradise Genealogical Society celebrates grand reopening after losing its building in 2018 Camp Fire — NSPR