Shasta County election update | Shower trailers in Depot Park | ‘Nothing But Love’ in Paradise
The latest North State and California news on our airwaves for Wednesday, Nov. 23.
Shasta County gives update on ballot count
Shasta County Registrar of Voters Cathy Darling Allen said Tuesday her office is on schedule to certify election results by deadline. She said the ballots left to count are those that were mailed in without signatures or with signatures that didn’t match those on record.
— Ken Devol, NSPR
‘Nothing But Love’ shop in Paradise showcases local artists
Art gallery and store Nothing But Love in Paradise opened this summer. The store is a tribute to local Paradise artists and was opened by Camp Fire survivor Iris Natividad. Natividad said she hopes the store will help fire survivors living outside of Paradise find mementos to remind them of their roots. Read the full story.
— Angel Huracha, NSPR
Homeless aid group provides showers, clean water in Chico
For just over a year now, Chico homeless aid group North State Shelter Team has been providing showers and clothes to unhoused residents. The group is currently working on proposals for other aid projects to help unhoused residents in Chico.
— Alec Stutson, NSPR
Stanford scientists test Paxlovid as long COVID treatment
Scientists at Stanford are starting a medical trial to see if the drug Paxlovid can ease the symptoms of long COVID. It’s the first medical trial involving an antiviral to treat long COVID.
— Madi Bolanos (KQED), The California Report
Stories from NPR partner stations are edited by NSPR Staff for digital presentation and credited as requested.
In case you missed it
- Newsom backtracks on threat to withhold homelessness funds — CalMatters
- Lawmakers demand answers from Forest Service after CapRadio/California Newsroom wildfire investigation — CapRadio
- Newsom marks end of ‘peak’ fire season — NSPR
- Certain nurse practitioners to treat patients without physician supervision — CapRadio
- Safe Space winter shelter prepares to open — NSPR
- Chico City Council votes to rename airport — NSPR
- After sudden fire evacuations, Butte County communities turn to sirens — NSPR